Skip to main content

Marvin Sparks: "I gut thuh innanet gowin nutz"

Well, it's a Paul Wall bar really (remember him? I actually interviewed him in about '08 for an album that never dropped lol).

But this has nothing to do with him. Remember this post where I spoke to Kartel for a straight fan to artist conversation discussing other artists he has problems with? Well, it exploded yesterday. As I had a feeling it would. Hold tight @missjaylouise, told her about the amount I juice I got on the day. She knows. Also 'ang tight my social-net-less bredrins too (Yeah, can you believe they exist in 2011? Who'd have thought it? I remember talking about us flying cars by 2010 from back in 1997. Didn't quite happen, but yeah, people not on social-networks is weird).

First off I'm gonna address the Kartel bleaching argument.

Listen to Dancehall Hero (This tune is sick!)



If you don't get why he bleaches, you don't understand who Kartel is. Listen to what he is saying in this tune. Kartel just wants people to discuss him. That's all it is. No deeper psychological analysis required. He doesn't care what people think so long as they talk about him he's winning. Listen to the interview below; he says "I make money off controversy". Look at him over the past few years, Gully-Gaza, talking about getting blow jobs, leaking pics of getting a bj, kicking members out of Portmore Empire, reported beatings upon their departure, getting tattoo's, talking about freemasonary, the suspect pics of his tongue pierced, even down to putting on braces... All these things were taboo before Kartel. So long as people talk he wins. He has seen the debate about Michael Jackson's skin lightening and Kartel thinks he can replicate that. Throw a product in their to sell and blam! That's all it is. Selling daggering condoms on the back of all his songs with sexually explicit content (mainly Ramping Shop), plus the pics of him and Spice, and the other with Gaza Kym (maybe?) is another one. Whether it is a controversial moment too far, that's down for the people to decide, but not loving himself and all that is nothing to Kartel. It's all about the money.

Why people weren't listening when Mavado said "Well bleach out and full of tattoo like drag" I'll never know. Actually, you were probably too busy shouting Gaza whilst dismissing Mavado at the time. Why this wasn't brought up circa Straight Jeans and Fitted time, I don't know. I noticed it. And the backlash from artists and media in Jamaica has been a lot so don't even bring no "Yardie" argument round ya. Oh!

But anyway, moving on, see me, yeah, people assume I'm industry or call me a journalist or a blogger... I do all of those things but really I'm just a fan that expresses myself/shares my interest in those ways (realised this after a convo with @MichelleShanti and used it for my SoulCulture bio). When doing interviews, I'm a fan asking artists things I wanna know, and more time, other fans appreciate them and for that I am thankful.

I see people that come into the industry to be *Suge Knight voice* "All up in the videos", at every industry party, doing the "networking" (which is usually beggin' friend in disguise for ulterior motives like invites to parties and free concerts). Me, I don't bother with that. I do what I like, how I like as a fan for fans.

Wondering my point or what sparked this? During my Google search on what's poppin' for my name I came across this site that quoted my Kartel interview. They wrote:

"This is a pretty cool interview, Kartel talks about all the things that we wonder about, all the things we want insight on, like his feelings towards some of the most prominent artists in the industry like Busy Signal, Stephen 'Di Genius' McGregor, and Bounty Killer, his business ventures, why CONTROVERSY is his middle name and why he believes he earned the self proclaimed title of "DANCEHALL HERO".

ALTHOUGH!!!

I don't like how Kartel ah diss up mi man AIDONIA!! Not one bit!

But all in all, it was a good interview so BIG UP to MARVIN SPARKS.. he asked all the right questions!!"


[Source]

If you type "marvin sparks vybz kartel" into Google (yes, I did it. I wanted to see where it went) you'll see about page 7/8 pages of results. This isn't even showing off, I'm sharing my excitement/surprise/proud moment. I'm accepted by my dancehalll peers :oD

As I tweeted a week ago

(copied from Kartel's twitter) @iamthekartel: "#AWOAH RT @MarvinSparks @iamthekartel bless up king. People talking about your interview already. Wait til the rest drops. Oh!" [source]

If you haven't heard it:

@MarvinSparks: Vybz Kartel on wars and business ventures by MiNameMarvinSparks

Part 1 and Part few and my breakdown of my year 'til then

Hold tight everyone that has downloaded it from soundcloud for their youtube channels and blogged it. I know it's Kartel they're doing it for, but I asked the right questions so I'm claiming my part dognyammit (Yard version uzeet)! Producer and songwriter split is 50/50 on royalties, so mi nuh muss get my share? I've officially gone where no other UK journalist has been since the digital age. I'm on a mission to bring my music to where it needs to be uzeet?

p.s. this isn't the only time it has happened. Most of dancehall interviews get ripped. So if you want me to help your site tap into the dancehall community holla at mehh marvin.sparks220@gmail.com. Don't get it twisted like I'm a one-trick pony though Asher Roth, Raekwon, Kevin J (UK comedian), Keri Hilson and J. Cole are a few I've sighted on other sites. (Thanks to Google). Thanks for thinking they're good enough for your site. Oh yeah, my reviews do well too. Yeah, I'm plugging away hard round here. VAT went up to 20% yesterday. Check my interviews and MeView's. Lastly, a 2010 dancehall mix CD for your listening pleasure. Think I'm all plugged out now. Thanks. Actually, last thing, I can honestly say I have never used a question anyone asked me to ask because I don't say "I'm interviewing X tomorrow, send me your questions", because I don't wanna jinx it. It's 100% me. So I don't require much notice prior to interviews *angelic smile* (no homo) Oh yeah and don't shoot the messenger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier