Skip to main content

Non-dancehall songs I fux with

My blog's drowning in dancehall or dancehall by association right now.

Anyway, here's some bangers getting spun you're likely to hear in my presence

DJ Khaled ft. Drake, Ricky Rozay & Lil' Wayne - I'm On One

This song is ridiculous! I finally realised Drake raised the bar for what it takes to be a r&b artist. R&b isn't dead, the artists are doing it wrong



Kelly Rowland - Motivation

A few months back I tweeted that r&b needs to link up with hip hop again instead of this euro-house stuff. I'd say this is an example of what I meant. This could easily be the beat for the above song and the point about Drake raising the bar for r&b can kinda be seen. I won't spill the rest because the game is to be sold not told. Features Lil' Wayne spewing some horrible lyrics about rainforest and brainstorm. I'm sure you'll probably know this song by now.



The official remix landed today. Sounds alright.



Frank Ocean "Swim Good"

An example of someone following the blueprint of what I said about Drake is Frank Ocean. Please bear in mind, I could be talking complete nonsense, but at the moment I'm right in my head. I haven't succumbed to he hype and downloaded his mixtape yet. Will listen to it at some point because I am liking a few of his songs now.

This gets a lot of airplay on 1Xtra. Good song. Unofficial video by the way. And please don't ask me what he's talking about. Have no idea.



Cherri V - Greedy Eyes

Another gem I've tweeted is "I don't understand why artists try to make pop when they haven't established an underground fan base". I'd just like to say I do understand why it's done, I just think it's a route many take like urban crowd is something to bypass. I can go on that point a bit more, can't be bothered to. I mentioned Cherri V in the tweet. Can't remember how, possibly a "Someone let Cherri V know" type point.

However, this is a song I feel is one that is a step in the right direction. Easily relatable and r&b over the 4x4 dance or middle of the road pop stuff she put out previously. The video is really effective. Really like it. Like, a lot. Goes to show, a story does more than a big budget.



p.s. I know someone from Cherri's team will Google to find results of where the vid is posted. If you stumble across this spot, pass on my feedback and email me her number please. We can go Nando's to discuss music and hopefully create a relationship that will help with some material. Win-win I say.

Ms. Dynamite - Neva Soft

Lady Dynamite is back! This is a monster of a track. Labrinth absolutely beasted on production duties. Mainly centres around a drum & bass sound. If the end of Tinie Tempah's "Pass Out" was a song, it'd be this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier