Skip to main content

Songs I fux with

Ed Sheeran - Small Bump

Anyone that has been following the blog for a while now will know I began gassing about Ed last year March on a next level (if you're interested click this, this or this). He's one of the only artists I'm most excited about. Genuinely excites me. Me and that girl Leatz were on his talent from mad early, alie Leatz?

Watched his performance at Glastonbury where he headlined the BBC Introducing Stage, literally brought a smile to my face to see every one going mad for him. He doesn't have a plastic image, girls don't think he's drop dead gorgeous, but it's just top quality music in it's purest form as it should be.

I like this quote: "The above track, 'The A Team', is my favourite track on the CD. First track on the EP, instant repeat material, so standard was set quite high but I really enjoyed every track on there. Good lyrical content, singing, beats etc. Where the labels at? Sign this guy up!" from this post (by me) last year April. That song entered the UK charts at number 3 more than a year later. Straight blowing trumpets. *Moves on to saxophone*

He performed this, "Small Bump", a song I hadn't had before. Automatically plugged in as I watched. I won't tell you what it's about because it has a twist, but it involves the joy pregnancy brings based on a true story about a friend and her baby. Joy it brings is only the beginning of the story.



Yet another emotive tale. His album is an automatic purchase. Pre-order ting.

Some man 50+ year old man I know said Ed reminds him of Tracy Chapman. Can definitely hear it on this. And I get annoyed by the "He reminds me of..." sometimes like you, but a comparison doesn't take away from the talent. Especially, when he's just doing him. And Tracy is such a class act.

Moving on,

Rick Ross ft. Lil' Wayne - 9 Piece

Saw Ricky Rozay perform last week. Banger after banger followed by another banger. He has the roads on smash. Loads of roadmen were acting like big fans, moshing, fist pumping, rapping along to everything. The atmosphere was electric. To show how he has man dem on a fan vibe, he took of his white t-shirt, bared his chest, then threw his sweaty white tee in the crowd. Now you've all seen the size of him, so you know the amount of sweat isn't like normal human beings. And men jumped to catch it. Yes, in 2011. Hip hop isn't what it was.

Concert vibe is definitely the best place outside of a car to hear those anthems. They're good set-up for the real party club tunes. Don't make me wanna dance or grab a girl, hence starters.

This here is one of those bangers that gets grown men gassed.



Ace Hood - Hustle Hard

Here's another one of those hip hop anthems. Lex Luger has the roads on smash right now. All his beats sound like they're cut from the same thread, but they do knock. Busy 808's + heavy synths = Lex Luger



Stylo G - Call Me A Yardie

In times where people of Jamaican decent in England are more about cussing their parental/grandparental country, praise assimilation over having their own identity within Britain like previous generations and use the term "Yardie" as a derogatory term, Jamaican born (I think) UK dancehall artist Stylo G wears his Yardie badge with pride.

Definitely one of the bright sparks of the new generation holding up for the Yardies on this hip hop banger. And good on him



He performed at Showtime, the bashment stage show. Check the review of the best non-arena event I've been to here

Starboy Nathan ft. Wretch 32 - Hangover

This is a good track. Heard Ronnie Herel premiere it couple weeks ago on 1Xtra. I dunno why I get Blame It (on the alchol) vibes from it. And I still chuckle at the Starboy bit, he's more "Next door neighbour" Nathan, really.



The ultimate best song right now is

DJ Khaled ft. Drake, Rick Ross & Lil Wayne - I'm On One

I got gassed when Ross performed this. This is my jam. I actually like Drake now by the way. I didn't get him before 'cos I always said he's an r&b artist masquerading as a rapper. But that's what his lane is. He isnt a rapper, that's why girls love him. Mentioned it before but he has raised the bar for r&b artists. So, now I treat him as an r&b artist making hip hop I get him. Ross is a rapper, Drake is an r&b dude doing rap. He's like Ja Rule except he caters to the man dem more. And I liked Ja Rule because he didn't blur the lines, so I understood.

So yeah, now I've stopped rejecting him as a rapper, he's good. Plus, he likes dancehall and friends with Mavado.



Krept & Konan freestyle

Not a song, but I just came across this. It has been out since January, surpassed 500k views, so yea, I'm extremely late. I know who these two are, haven't heard a great deal of them, but this makes me wanna get mixtapes.

UK road rap ting is the ting. Straight emotional road life bars. Love Krept's talking about the battle between pursuiting religion but living the road life (despite the Arabic(?) words). Konan goes all the way in. This is the stuff I don't get from US hip hop anymore. The hungry street rap. I like the Adele - Hometown Glory sample too. Sure I've heard that somewhere else from a proper song. Can't remember who's though. Knowing my luck, it's probably them lol.

"They say money won't buy you happiness
But I rather be unhappy inside a Range
I'm sick of cells like my body's not well
If I ain't in a ringer then I got probably got scales" - Konan

South man stand up!



Sidenote: Hometown Glory is from Adele's first album 19 (not the current, 21). I know it through this drum & bass version I prefer Jungle to drum & bass (not base - dunno why people spell it like that), but I can admit that goes hard.

Mavado - Do Road

"Do Road" is simplified from "do my thing on the road". I love when Mavado services the streets. This is ZJ Chrome's new riddim, name Contra. I'm trying to figure who built it. It's either Jordan or Stephen.

Comments

  1. Saw Ed Sheeran at Stratford Circus and knew he was the best thing sliced bread for music. He's not fake and just fits in with whatever crowd he's playing for.

    His lyrics are touching and heartfelt. I wish I had the talent he has!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier