Skip to main content

Trace the sample: Willie Hutch special

I'm a music man that loves to find new music. One of the ways I do this is by tracing samples. Usually leads me to some soul or disco artist I wasn't to familiar with. Good way to get new old music. I love stuff with live instruments so this method usually brings results. If you like samples, you can check my other posts here. And yes, I said "Chase the Sample" instead of "trace" because I'm chasing them. Feening!

Listening to the radio the other day (as I still do), they played a song that uses a samples I recognised from another song. Decided to Google it to find the original (as you do) and voila. Willie Hutch is the man. Haven't heard much of this guy, not familiar with his name, so thought I'd research him. He has been sampled a fair few times so I thought I'd do a post dedicated to him.

The song that spawned this:

Willie Hutch - "Brother's Gonna Work It Out"




The closest I've seen to a vibrant dancefloor like that in this day and age is Jamaica

Recognise it? It has been sampled a few times. I remember Dr Dre using (taking the piss out of) it on The Chronic, but the most popular one is Jaheim - "Looking For Love" - 2001.



Admittedly I had seen this next one before. Never connected it as the same guy.

Willie Hutch - "Tell Me Why Our Love's Gone Cold" - 1973

Pick out a skank from this video and run with it this weekend at Carnival.



I saw the video above when there were rumours Three 6 were devil worshipers. People said the sample said "Lucifer 'til I die" or something like that. Forgot about "Stay Fly". What a tune. Well, the beat is crazy.

Find Young Buck! He had a buzz them times, didn't he? Only one rated in G-Unit at that point

Three 6 Mafia ft. Young Buck + 8Ball & MJG - "Stay Fly" - 2005



Willie Hutch - I Wanna Be Where You Are - 1973



2:16-2:24 from this song equals the sample for the bizarre Mary J Blige ft. Jay-Z "You Can't Hide From Luv" - 2005. I say bizarre because Jay-Z doesn't do anything on there but the intro (which isn't on the video I'm about to post)

What a singer Mary turned into.



Willie Hutch - "I Choose You" - 1973



I came across this sample via the soundtrack for 50 Cent's game Bulletproof? No, I never had the game, you mad?! 50 used it on PIMP pt. 2. A year down the line this song blew up with it

Salute Andre 3000 please. He kills UGK "International Players Anthem" - 2007. RIP Pimp C

"I'm so like a pi'p (pimp with southern drawl), I'm glad it's night" (Gladys Knight and the Pips) + "You know I got yo' back like chiroprac-tic" were my bars

"Keep your heart 3 stacks"

I never clocked T-Pain at 1:24 as the leader of the choir. Thanks YouTube comments.




Willie Hutch - "Mack's Stroll - The Getaway (Chase Scene)" - 1973

You'll recognise this one instantly



Yep, you got it (I hope), Usher - "Superstar" - 2004

*throws arms up and sways left-to-right-to-left-to-right-to...* you get the motive now join in



Willie Hutch "Soundtrack Hospital Prelude of Love Theme" - 1974



Sample used for Notorious BIG "Ready To Die" from the album of the same name



And Rick Ross the BIG impersonator has it on the NO I.D produced "Tears of Joy" from the Teflon Don album



Willie Hutch - "Baby Come Home"

Last one. You'll recognise one of the two songs I know that sample this istantly



First one that springs to mind for most will be "Back Like That" by Ghostface Killah ft. NeYo



The other (and one I knew first) is Lil' Kim's emotional tribute to Biggie ft. Mary J Blige "Hold On" from my favourite Kim album, Notorious KIM.



Bonus: another one for your skanks (ways to dance) catalogue

"Brother's Gonna Work It Out" live at Soul Train



These were the producers parents music, what will we sample or even our kids? Rihanna and Katy Perry?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier